U12 Team1

Trafalgar Victory played Fortuna in Morwell for their GSL Under 12 Round 7 match.  The game opened with a flurry of goals.  First Fortuna broke the Trafalgar defence in the opening minute of the match.  Then from the proceeding kick off Trafalgar had equalled in a matter of seconds courtesy of some smart passing and a lovely finish from striker Joshua.

The goals kept coming and both teams had added another in relatively short time.  As half time approached, Fortuna snuck ahead with a third goal for the half, taking a 3-2 advantage into the second half of play.

Haylee and Rhys, whilst natural midfielders, offered a great deal of experience and control in the backline and both played their role for the team.  Midfielders Michael and Ben worked hard for the half and offered a nice balance of attack and defence.  New keeper Luke did his best in goals, but several of the goals conceded gave him no chance, as he was left exposed against a number of Fortuna strikers.

In the second half the match was much more even with both teams pushing to score.  It was Trafalgar who scored first via a lovely combination of passes and a superb finish from Flynn.  It was great to see Flynn doing his best after a couple of week’s absence.  His drive and pace was much appreciated by his team mates and coach.

After a late arrival, Jacob and Jackson made it to the ground and onto the pitch to add some strength and agility to the middle of the pitch.  With the score locked at 3-3 for the vast majority of the game the game looked destined for a draw.  It was going to take something “unusual” to split the two teams.  It was unfortunate, yet a most valuable lesson learnt, when Drew (who played as goalie for the second half) found himself picking up the ball outside the box.  The poor lad wasn’t sure what to do and the resultant free kick went in for a match deciding goal.  Prior to this event Drew mad some absolutely amazing saves and his individual brilliance had kept

With only minutes left in the game the team was thrown around and the bench activated.  However, it was Fortuna who once again scored in the final minute to record a 5-3.

The coach, whilst hoarse from yelling instructions, was very happy with the endeavour and intent shown by the Trafalgar players throughout the match especially in the second half.  Everyone gave their all and the final score wasn’t really a true reflection of the days play.

Award recipients for this week’s game were:

Flynn George and Drew O’Brien.

Categories: Match Report